Pre-Breakfast Habits of Highly Successful People
8 Dec 2015
Many people think squeezing in breakfast before work is a feat in itself. However, research from the World Economic Forum (WEF) states that successful people make the most of their mornings.
The WEF has published a list of 14 things that successful people do in their mornings before the first meal of the day.
- Wake up early – 90% of executives wake up before 6am on weekdays.
- Drink water instead of coffee. Drinking water in the morning apparently helps you feel more alert.
- Exercise. Beyond the fact that exercising in the morning means they can’t later run out of time, a before-breakfast workout helps reduce stress later in the day.
- Work on a top priority business project.
- Work on a “passion project”.
- Invest in family time, like reading stories to the kids or cooking a breakfast together.
- Connect with spouses before you are tired from the day’s activities.
- Make your bed. This leads to a happier day.
- Network over coffee.
- Meditate to clear your mind.
- Write down things you’re grateful for.
- Plan for the day ahead. Using the mornings to do big-picture thinking helps you prioritize and set the trajectory of the day.
- Check your e-mail.
- Read the news.
Light Between a Rock and a Hard Place
|How they stack up||Brazil||South Africa|
|GDP (current $)||$2.346 trillion (2014)||$349.8 billion (2014)|
|GDP growth rate (projected)||-2.26%||2%|
|Total population||202 million (2014)||54 million (2014)|
|Life expectancy||74 (2013)||57 (2013)|
|Poverty headcount (% of population)||8.9% (2013)||53.8% (2013)|
|Exports to Chinas (2013, % of total)||19.01%||12.66%|
|Exports to China (value, 2013)||$46 billion||$12 billion|
|Imports from China (2013, % of total)||15.57%||15.48%|
|Imports from China (value, 2013)||R37 billion||$16 billion|
Source: The World Bank, OECD, Statistics SA, Reuters, Business ?Day, Trading Economics, World Economic Forum, WITS